- How bad is watching TV for kids? I've heard that a child should only view 1-2 hours max of media p/day. What's the consequence for too much screen time?
- Is 100% fruit juice bad for my son? How much is okay? He loves it.
- Can you teach me some tricks for getting my son to eat vegetables? What types do you feed your baby?
- Is there such a thing as too many cheerios consumed in one day?
- Is there a recommended "maximum amount of play pen time"?
- How big is a serving size of fruit or vegetables for a one year old?
- Is putting an 11 month old to bed with a bottle of formula a bad thing? Why?
Thanks in advance!




6 comments:
OK, First off...I am NO expert, but I do have some things to say.
I think it depends what your child is watching on TV. My kids LOVE Signing Time and Baby Einstein. Things like that I think are ok because they are made for kids. Jace was just telling me he read an article saying too much TV is bad for kids...but ESPECIALLY too many commercials. The commercials are just so flashy and jump from scene to scene that it can cause ADHD. As for how much is too much...I have no idea. My kids are addicted and it's a task trying to pry them away. :(
Veggies...Aliyah is SO picky, but Xander will eat anything. I think it's in their personality and I have no tricks other than making fun noises when bringing it to their mouth. Sometimes that works. :) As mom's we pretty much have to make ourselves look like complete idiots to get our kids to react the way we want.
I don't think you can eat too many cheerios. Don't worry about it.
The bottle thing...As long as you are only putting water in the bottle I wouldn't worry. You don't want to put milk or juice because it can cause bottle rot for his teeth and believe me, that is NOT a fun thing. I've seen 2 year olds have to get root canals on almost all their teeth because of it. :( We just got Xander off the bottle this month and he's almost 18 months. My dr. said don't worry about weaning them off the bottle until they're 18 months unless, of course, they do it themselves. Wouldn't that be nice. :)
I really think you don't need to worry about anything else on your list. Your instincts are better than you know and I'm sure you're just overthinking in some areas.
Be aware, most of this is my opinion, but I have been around the block a couple times. :)
As I haven't experienced quite a few of these things yet.. these are just opinions, but have become a good friend to webmd.com for common questions.
We did get a couple of Baby Einstein videos for Christmas, but my Iszak has no interest in them. I just started Iszak on a sippy cup with watered down juice. I'm so glad that Isaac loves fruits, because my little guy is the opposite and loves loves veggies.. especially the combination items, such as sweet potato and corn. Maybe just start giving Isaac finger foods, such as well cooked soft beans to chomp on.
You're a great mom and best of luck with the soon to be one year old adventures! Isaac is sure an adorable little guy!
Ok, here goes a bunch of opinion mised with some fact. Remember, I'm not a pro, by any means!
TV: Mostly stuff that I have read or heard, too much tv can make it more difficult for kids to pay attnetion to things that aren't so...attention grabbing. TV is very stimulating, and it can make for behavior problems if too much is watched. There are tons of great shows and movies that are "good" for kids to watch and that will teach them, Ronnie has learned lot's of great things from shows like that, but, he is now at the age where a lot of the shows marketed for his age group, are HORRIBLE and he picks up so many things I wish he wouldn't. We are actually contemplating eliminating TV just for that reason. I can't believe the things he learns, and many times it is from shows I thought were okay. My biggest reccomendation, try not to use it as a baby sitter too much, because you really want to make sure you know what your kids are watching, mostly this will apply when he is older, right now, most things you let him watch, you already have seen.
Juice: While overall, juice is great, it is loaded with sugar. According to the American Academy of Pediatrics "While it does supply some important nutrients and counts as a fruit serving, juice is also a concentrated source of sugar. Apple and grape juices have roughly the same amount of sugar per ounce as soda, and anything labeled "juice product" contains added sugar. Kids ages 1 - 6 drink no more than 4 - 6 oz. a day, and kids 7 - 8, no more than 8 -12 oz." So there is some fact, here is some opinion. It can also contribute to cavities and should definitly not replace the much needed water and milk necessary in a childs diet. I have know lots or people and I do it myself, that do half water, half juice, so you still get the juice flavor, but they can have juice twice in a day instead of once.
Veggies: Kids don't eat veggies! They just don't. Some will eat some, and others others :), but in general,kids don't like veggies. Just keep trying. Dr's reccomend not giving up on a veggie or food after the first rejection.
Cheerios: Not really! Just becareful to monitor stools. Too much fiber can cause loose stools. Besides, you may think you are feeding him alot when you spread them on his tray 3-4 times a day, but if you put them in a bowl all at once, you may find you aren't feeding him any more than you would eat yourself.
Play Pen: I personally feel like it is essential for kids to learn how to play and entertain themselves. That doesn't mean we shouldn't play with them, but if we constantly entertain them, they never learn. I think he'll let you know when he's done, and if he's not used to it, you may have to let him cry for awhile until he gets into the routine, but eventually he'll learn, and he'll tell you when he's done and needs your attention.
Serving Size: ??????? He'll stop when he's full!? I don't think you really can go wrong.
Bottle to Bed: Yes! This is one thing I am very "opinionated" on. For two reasons! 1. CAVITIES!!! Trust me, there is nothing worse than watching your baby in the dentist chair having a baby root canal. NO bottles in bed, and teach them how to brush! Obviously Isaac is too young to learn to brush, but not to young for you to be in the habit of brushing for him. I'm speaking from expensive experience, it truly is better to just not! 2. Personal opinion...it's just one more habit to break, one more thing to make bottle breaking more difficult, and I think it is important for children to learn to put themselves to sleep. I watch these Nanny shows with their children that won't go to bed and they spend hours trying to get them to sleep, and I am so grateful I had the back bone to teach my children to soothe themselves and put themselves to sleep. I never have bed time battles! Many will probably think I am wretched, but my children are well loved, and they go to bed when they are put to bed.
Sorry, that was rather long winded, I know, but you know me! You are a fabulous mother, bottom line, do what feels right for you and Isaac. There is nothing on that list that will scar your child if you overindulge him a little. Just enjoy him!
I've heard it takes a kid like 5 different tastes to like a vegetable. Jack doesn't love them, either. So if you figure out the secret, do tell!
Our TV is on most of the day, but usually with my shows because he doesn't care for any of the kiddie ones.
As far as serving sizes go, I just let Jack eat until he's full... is that bad? I mean, unless it's like chocolate or something like that.
I'm so glad you made this post, because I've learned alot from the responses! I think some TV is ok and educational for little ones. Ethan loves the baby einstien dvds, along with elmo's world for fun. I got the baby einstein sign language one, and it helped him learn signs. It makes it easier when he can sign 'bath, more, eat' before he can speak the words. I only let him watch disney in the morning. Those cartoons seem to be okay for me. He doesn't need to see Nickelodean, Noggin, and other channels that have loud, annoying cartoons.
I do half water/juice since its hard to get him to drink straight water. When he was constipated, I put a little prune juice in with apple, and it helped loosen the stools big time.
I think you have some pretty smart friends who commented:)
Yes, we are hoping to move to Utah in May, if we can find a job. We'll rent some house anywhere from Provo to Lehi. We want to move closer to our families, it just felt right. March 1rst, we are coming up to do Kevin's blessing in our family's ward. Its in Saratoga Springs, at 1pm. ( a little west of the 15 by American Fork) You are so invited to come! Kelly is coming so far. I will be sending everyone a better invite with directions, etc.
Hey there,
I know I don't have kids yet, but just watching my sister and what she does I know that she has a lot of good insights. I will only comment on a couple things and I think people have already said them.
When you give Isaac juice it should be watered down. Even with Hunter who is almost 3 she still does 1/2 water 1/2 juice. That way they still get the taste and nutrients but not so much sugar. Juice has fructose which is "good" sugar but it should be watered down.
At night I wouldn't give him a bottle with anything but water for the exact reason that Anne said. Their teeth and gums can rot and it can be not only painful and smelly, but they get their first fear of dentists at age two instead of later in life.
The tv thing. I have heard the same about ADHD. I have heard it depends on their age but children under 18 months shouldn't watch more than an hour of tv a day and that viewing should not include commercials.
Again, I don't have experience...yet but I am gleaning my "wisdom" from a great source. Hopefully Lindsey can give you some tips on veggies cause she's really good at that.
Post a Comment