5/27/2008

Blek!

I was nursing Isaac this evening, and I looked down and noticed that his face was flushed and his eyes were watering. Must have been that salsa I ate earlier. After I finished feeding him, I decided to give his some gripe water to help ward off tummy pain. So, I laid him on the changing table, and slowly fed it to him through a little baby syringe. He seemed to like it as he smacked it around in his mouth and swallowed it drop by drop. Then, he started to cough. I quickly stood him up and, voilĂ ! Projectile vomit! Hurray! I scooted him farther up on the changing table so he wouldn’t get baby barf all over his pajamas. He was all smiles, but I thought to myself, “It may have been the spicy milk, or maybe he didn’t tolerate the gripe water? But there is a chance that this child is sick”. So, I got out the rectal thermometer and took the boy’s temperature. Fortunately, it was normal. Unfortunately, the thermometer acted as an enema of sorts. Now I had poop and barf all over the place. He was still all smiles and coos (which made it impossible for me to be upset). So, I sang to him, cleaned him up, and put him in new pair of jammies. I wrapped him up and kissed him goodnight. Then I proceeded to disinfect and launder. My favorite! Yes, it was gross. But all things considered, I’ll take the mess if I can keep him. I love you, Isaac.

6 comments:

JB said...

Ah the wonderful, messy moments of parenthood. We have had similar experiences and I'm sure there are an infinite number of them to come.

I bet your trip was a great way to catch up on each others lives! How fun.

We sure miss you too!
This is MaryAnn, by the way, not Jonathan, as it says :)

kallina said...

Hey Alyssa! ohh Isaac is so cute! What a cute blog, and what a funny/sad story. (sad for the mess you had to clean up! :)

anne said...

Yah, kids will do that. Sometimes nothing is wrong when they vomit like that...they just eat too much. Aliyah went through a stage where she would throw up like that...a lot. But I guess that's just how she was cuz she was never sick. Crazy kids. Ya gotta love 'em though.

Toni said...

Don't you hate those days? I'm glad you pulled through. I had a day like that once, and ended up crying I was so frustrated. Way to be brute!
I'm taking Jack on his first plane ride on Wednesday. What did Isaac think of flying?

Nathan and Alyssa said...

Hey Toni! Isaac wasn't bad on the flight. He cried at first and then slept most of the way. I hear that having them drink or suck on a binky during take off helps them change their ear pressure. Good luck!

Jon and Emily said...

I never thought that I could get peed on pooped or thrownup on and not care! Joy of motherhood!